Monday, November 12, 2007

Starting the Specific Carbohydrate Diet

A week or so ago I'd heard from theinfamousmom about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, specifically the Pecan Bread site.

I was intrigued by this diet, specifically because it is used for ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, and one of the RA medications I'm on is also used for those conditions. I didn't realize some parents were using this diet for autistic kids as well. I managed to get ahold of the bible of said diet, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle," and read it quickly.

I planned to go on the diet myself, and make all of the mistakes with me before bringing Clark on board, but Jeffrey thought I should go ahead and take him along for the ride.

Of course I spent all weekend cooking, but the stars aligned in a way that made it a little easier, especially since I had recently cut out corn and therefore all condiments already. I was also following an anti-yeast protocol that was not working to my satisfaction. I then had a minor infraction -- a couple of small gluten free cookies that I made for Clark -- and I predictably flared the next day. So I was certain that I really did need to remain starch free, and that's what SCD is all about.

The past two days we've been doing the intro diet. I can tell you that this is a HARD diet. But I was firm in my resolve for the most part (Jeffrey filled in my weak spots, thank you honey!). And I did screw up once, and Clark had a bathroom emergency as a result. Curious. Clark is REALLY enjoying the jello (unflavored gelatin plus grape juice) as well as a strange bread made from eggs alone.

The cool thing I've noticed is that Clark started conversing way more appropriately yesterday, and he was noticing things that he never seemed to notice before. I'm suspicious, but cautiously optimistic.

So yeah, the holidays should be interesting. I so totally suck right now for doing this before Thanksgiving. -_-

No comments: