Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wheel...of...fish!

So I came across this link and I thought I should talk a little bit about fish.

For a lot of people following the SCD, environmental toxins are a big problem. When your digestion is all screwed up, it can also be a sign that your body is having a terrible time processing toxins.

So, it's a good idea to avoid toxins as much as possible, yes?

I'd say so.


Red snapper? Very nice.

I'm sad to say that swordfish is RIGHT OUT, according to the link above. That's really sad, because it tastes FABULOUS. Abstaining forever doesn't sound all that great, but then again, neither does eating mercury.

However, light tuna, actual wild salmon, halibut, snapper, tilapia, and black sea bass are all great choice. Sea bass?



Not Chilean sea bass, no. They have to be black sea bass. And yes, you may eat the ill-tempered ones.

2 comments:

FishermansDaughter said...

Watch out for the tilapia - they're pretty low on the food chain and as far as I'm concerned that puts them in the "EWWW" category. The distinction between wild caught vs farmed tilapia being: farmed are force fed sludge (read concentrated human waste) vs wild who exist on a similar diet, albeit "wild" ocean bottom sludge (read whatever sinks to the bottom of the ocean floor). My dad was a commercial fisherman.

Unknown said...

From the EDF web site, they had this to say about U.S. farmed tilapia:

Tilapia are fed mostly vegetable-based diets, and farming operations produce little water pollution.

I find it unlikely they are fed human waste. If you do have some kind of evidence to back it up, I'd read it, but I do have a lot of trust in the EDF.

But as far as being low on the food chain, that is ideal if you are trying to reduce pollutants and contaminants in your diet. Fish higher along are going to have more of everything -- including more mercury and PCB contamination.