Friday, September 11, 2009

canning jars

Next on my list of things to buy are canning jars.

I haven't made the foray into real canning as of yet, but these jars are so useful, I can't believe I haven't picked up more of them yet. Here's what led to my revelation.

If you're on the specific carbohydrate diet, you have to be careful with many things. Things such as spices.

I go out of my way to find additive free garlic and onion powders and granulations at places such as The Spice House and Penzey's. I often buy them in bulk.

Of course, when buying in bulk, you want to be able to store your spices neatly. I purchased a large 8 oz jar for spice storage around the same time that I bought my last batch of spices. I got really annoyed when I found out that the cardboard inside the lid wasn't removable, and the big glob of cement-like glue was impossible to remove.

If I'd known the lid wasn't washable, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Thinking about this, I noticed my other larger Ball jars on the counter (holding kosher salt and coffee), and realized I could buy jelly jars for my spices.

Canning jars are fantastic for this kind of storage. They're always washable in the dishwasher, and the lids are replaceable. Plus, the jars are cheap. I checked at the grocery store, and a dozen jelly jars only costs $10.

Instead of struggling to get your measuring spoon into your spice containers, wouldn't it be nice to have that nice big jar opening? I admit you don't need this for all spices, but I'd definitely appreciate it for things I use all the time, like garlic and onion.

It's ridiculous I didn't think of this sooner, but there ya go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want fancy, you can DIY pretty spice jars very easily by spraying the lids of whatever jars you choose with refrigerator enamel in white; after it dries you can write on the tops with india ink. It ends up a lovely uniform white. The enamel will stick to plastic, too, so it's a good way to fix ugly spice lids.

Curiously, hardware stores are often a great place to score cheap canning jars and canning equipment, along with really good prices on butcher block (sold by the square foot) and cast iron.

We got a 3'x3' square of butcher block for very cheap that we've moved from house to house. It fits right on top of a standard counter top and provides a great cutting surface.

Small tins used for holding findings or screws are cheap in bulk and can be used for less commonly used spices. (And you can get opaque ones that you can keep out on the counter, or glue magnets to and stick to the fridge.)