Saturday, November 21, 2009

turkey and disneyland

I am very much looking forward to cooking turkey this year!

I won't be doing it until after the actual day, though; this year, we'll be spending Thanksgiving in Disneyland. I may call ahead and ask them to make us some turkey that Clark and I can eat, but I'm not sure yet.

In case you are not aware, Disneyland and Disney World can handle pretty much any food allergy/intolerance situation, as long as you give them a little bit of notice. Heck, they can deal with it at their sit-down restaurants with no notice. So Disney gets high marks in my book!

Also, this year I am going to indulge in some Meyenberg goat butter! I asked my local Henry's Market to order some for me, and they said yes!

I have heard from other SCDers that Meyenberg goat butter is legal. It does have "natural flavoring" listed on the package, but another SCDer cleared this with a rep. I do not remember all of the details, so please use with caution if there's any doubt in your mind.

I am going to be paying $5.99 for 8 oz of goat butter. I thought that was kind of high, but then again, the holidays are coming. It will be nice to have something special, I thought.

But then, I happened to drop by Whole Foods to get a bag of almond flour (my son wants pizza for his birthday). They had a different brand of goat butter in their dairy case -- $9.99 for 8 oz! So I guess I'm getting a deal!

I also have a link to share with you. If you're wondering why your turkey is dry and tasteless, blame the bird. Mark's Daily Apple has a nice blog post on heritage turkeys but the PARSNIPS ARE ILLEGAL, OK? So just ignore that part. :)

I certainly won't miss the potatoes, and I never cared for parsnips anyway. My son and I have been snacking on butternut squash and pumpkin all week. Mmmm...

I'm also planning to make some pumpkin cheesecake bars with dripped yogurt. Stay tuned. If it works, I will post the recipe.

Oh! And if you are looking for a great SCD dairy free pumpkin pie recipe, head on over to Beth's Blog. I purchased her Turtle Soup cookbook. I really enjoyed the simple recipes, and the pie is just GREAT!

Have a great holiday, guys and gals!

4 comments:

Mrs. Ed said...

The Meyenburg goat butter is wonderful. It's the most buttery tasting butter I've ever had. You won't be disappointed. Their goat pepperjack cheese is amazing too.

Candice C said...

I'm making a disney trip soon, any tips on what you ate, or how easy it was to get them to produce something scd legal?
Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Candice,

I don't know how Disney World is since I haven't been there in a while, but at Disneyland it's become even easier to find SCD legal foods. I do not explain the extent of the intolerances as it's too overwhelming. But at many places it is possible to get plain 100 percent beef patties with lettuce and tomato, for example.

Disney staff are all highly trained as far as food allergies and intolerances go. You can ask them to take allergy precautions or just say "I have multiple food allergies, can I get a plain beef patty with lettuce and tomato?" etc.

If you are in the early stages of SCD I would definitely recommend bringing food as well. You should also call ahead to restaurants so that they can have enough time to steam your veggies if you need them steamed for a long time.

I always bring plenty of food regardless just to keep costs low.

Candice C said...

Thanks Susan. I was a little worried when planning the trip since it will be two days. But I'll plan to eat dinner each night at disneyland and pack breakfast and lunch. Hopefully it will work out good. Thanks for the advice, I'll worry much less now knowing they'll do their best to meet my needs!