Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ginger spice cookies

What, another recipe in one day?!

It's true.

I'm actually in the midst of a bit of a cooking marathon. I've got marrow bones in the crock pot for 24 hour beef broth, I made Murgh Kabuli for lunch, I've got green beans steaming, and I just finished making these ginger spice cookies.

I've still got to make hard boiled eggs and hamburgers, but I thought I'd take a little break. :)

I've tried to make ginger spice cookies before and they were a dismal failure. I have been trying to clean out a completely full notebook of mine, and thus I came across the failed recipe today. With a few tweaks, I had success! So here you go.



These cookies taste light and not too sweet. I think with raisins they'd make a great fake oatmeal raisin cookie!

SCD LEGAL (ITALIAN) GINGER SPICE COOKIES

2 cups almond meal (I used the Trader Joe's brand)
1/3 c palm shortening
1/3 c honey
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon or allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Grease two cookie sheets with extra shortening. Beat all ingredients together and drop onto trays, about 2" apart or so. Bake at 325 (or 300, depending on your oven) degrees for about 15 minutes -- watch the bottoms for burning. Cookies should be evenly golden brown.

Makes about 14 cookies.


Let them cool completely... if you can wait that long. We couldn't. :)

EDITS: I changed the temperature, and I added the word "Italian" to the recipe. I am Italian, so I figure I'm allowed. LOL.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

This post, as well as the one on Murgh Kabuli, are so timely for me, as I am presently re-vamping my recipe notes and these both look...good enough to eat!
Something about a warm spring day makes you feel energized(after a long cold winter here in the N.E.)and so I am on a mission to collect some SCD recipes that I will try out in the weeks & months to come.

Unknown said...

Hi Caitlin,

I hope you enjoy them. I'm gearing up for a beef stew recipe too. :)

Susan

Caitlin said...

Mmmm, beef stew...Bring it on, toots!