Thursday, April 8, 2010

Meatloaf

I loooove meatloaf. Of course, most recipes involve breadcrumbs. I've decided to omit them, and I've come up with a pretty basic recipe that works for us, so I'll share it with you here.

But! I'm also going to give you tips on making meatloaf in bulk.

Generally I make four meatloaves at one time, each of them weighing in at about 1.5 pounds.

First, I get my largest Pyrex bowl and a small bowl or container.

I measure two sets of the spices listed below -- one set into the large bowl, and one set into the small bowl/container.

Then I dump three pounds of ground beef in with the spices in the large bowl. I mix well, and shape this into two loaves, which go into a prepared foil-lined pan.

I then dump the smaller container of spices into the now-empty bowl, add three more pounds of ground beef, and mix and shape two more loaves.

Voila! Six pounds of meatloaf, baking at once and ready for your whole week (or for freezing).

Here's my three-pound recipe.

MEATLOAF (STAGE TWO)

3 pounds ground beef
3 tbsps SCD legal onion powder
1 tbsp SCD legal garlic powder
2 eggs
1 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 tbsp salt

Mix well and divide into two (or three) loaves. Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour, or until a meat thermometer shows 165.


As a variation, you can add about 1 pound steamed spinach per 3 pounds beef.

ETA: OR try my stage one version here!

Serve with SCD legal ketchup (reduced Campbell's tomato juice). Yum!

8 comments:

Caitlin said...

Well, I haven't got quite so much to add as the last poster...but want to thank you for the meat loaf recipe. It is very hard to stare at that lump of meat in the bowl and not add bread crumbs! Just to be contrary, I'm thinking I might grind up a slice or two one of the scd legal breads I make and add it to my next attempt. I also think your added greenery( the spinach) really adds to the flavor and moistness.

Unknown said...

Hi Caitlin,

I've actually thought about trying the same thing. Once I do, I'll definitely post about it. Let me know how it turns out! :)

Susan

Sarah said...

Thanks for the recipe! I will try it - sounds like a good way to have portable meat for lunches all week. :) (I didn't grow up eating much meatloaf - I think my mother made it once ever. Not such a common thing in the UK, where she grew up.)

I am wondering - would you freeze the extra loaves before or after cooking them?

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah,

I'd definitely freeze the loaves after cooking. In fact, you could slice them and put them in the freezer with waxed paper between the slices if you like.

If you froze the loaf before cooking, I think you might have some trouble keeping it together, and it might cook unevenly if it didn't defrost thoroughly before you popped it in the oven.

Enjoy!

Susan :)

Trish said...

I'm new to SCD and have been trying to figure out what scd legal garlic and onion powder would be (if there are any options other than making your own). Are organic versions of the spices allowed?

Unknown said...

Hi Trish,

Most single spices are fine, whether organic or not. I think the "official" SCD position is that onion and garlic are not always legal, but I have never had a problem. I would stick to spices that have an ingredient list (even if there's only one thing on the list). I hope that helps.

Unknown said...

I absolutely loved this recipe! I've been craving a good meatloaf since I started this diet, and this totally hit the spot.
Since I was the only one eating it, we made only a third of the recipe.

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it! :) My new blog is at scd.tumblr.com, I'm slowly getting recipes up there. :)