Thursday, March 8, 2012

We all make mistakes

Last night, my son wanted pizza, and I checked the refrigerator, expecting my bag of Trader Joe's almond meal to be there, and it just wasn't.

Confused, I searched the pantry, figuring a bag MUST be there, since I tend to buy almond meal whenever I don't need it, and thus I usually have at least two, sometimes three bags hanging around.

When it became clear that there was, in fact, no almond meal, I wasn't entirely sure what to do. My son suggested I tried almond butter. I thought this was a fine idea, and made my recipe (which is not even a recipe; I've never written it down although I should) basically the same way I always do.

I spread out the almond butter mixture and cooked it for the same amount of time I usually cook my pizza crust, then added the tomato sauce and sliced goat cheese.

Somewhere during this time my son was very disrespectful and lost his dinner pizza privileges.

This was just as well, because also during this time, I took out the pizza, cut it up, and tried to eat some.

I think I knew before I took a bite, but I did it anyway. It tasted... terrible.

It was raw in the middle, oddly sweet (why almond BUTTER has some kind of sweetness but the almond MEAL doesn't seem to, I'm really not sure), and just... gross.

I threw out most of it, and was happy that I am at a point in my life where I can do such a thing without feeling madly guilty about wasting expensive food.

I guess I could have put it back in the oven but ... eh.

THEN I realized that I'd forgotten to cook the ten pounds of chicken I bought, way too late for me too cook it, have it cool, and then put it away.

So my son had canned salmon for breakfast the next day, since we were out of pretty much everything except the food we send with him for lunch.

Every day is so not perfect. We deal and go on. :)

No comments: